Ok. So last time I showed you how to make tiny dresses for dolls about 3″ high from baby socks. You should have the heel and sole of the sock left. I hope you didn’t throw that out. You can use to to make more doll clothes!
Making doll clothes from socks
This time I’m going to show you how to make a headband kind of hat and a shirt for the 12″ fashion, barbie doll type dolls.
Now you just need the rest of your sock and some scissors.
Making the hat/headband
cut heel to make a hat
- Cut off the heel, making sure to cut all the way across the sock so at the point of the heel there is a thin strap. that’s it. There’s your hat. You can hide the strap behind the hair and use it as a head band, or put it under the chin and make it look like a helmet. Or you can cut strap, give it a little tug and make the hat look like it has earflaps.
Making the shirt
cut holes in toe to make a shirt
- Now you have the sole and foot of the sock.
- Clip a small hole at the very tip of the toe for the head
- clip two holes on wither side of the toe for the arms. (Keep high up on the toe for a sleeveless look or lower down for a cap sleeve.)
Doll hat and shirt
And that’s the shirt. Depending on the size of baby sock it may show Barbie’s belly. Here’s a picture of the “Mom” doll modeling her new threads. Making these takes very little time and makes a great surprise gift for a little girl. If you are on the lookout for stocking stuffers or basket fillers, you can make a couple of dozen of these in less than an hour, all for free.
DIY Doll Clothes from Socks
Have you made doll clothes from socks? I’d love to see. Leave a comment below with a link to your doll clothes project.
My kids have lots and lots of dolls. They have Barbie dolls, princess dolls, baby dolls, and little tiny dolls that are under 3 inches high. And every single one of them needs clothes. Of course they come with cute doll clothes. One, maybe two outfits. But my daughter wants them to have swim suits and pajamas and party dresses, and dance clothes….
Baby Sock Doll Clothes
So there is always more to sew. Being the Make Do crafter I am, I decided to use something I had on hand to make doll clothes for the itty bitty dolls she has. Baby socks!
One baby sock that lost it’s mate can make two dresses for itty bitty dolls and a hat and shirt for Barbie or other 12″ fashion dolls.
First I’m going to show how to make the dresses. I’ll show the rest in another post.
Baby sock doll dresses
- 1 baby sock
- sewing machine threaded with matching thread
Procedure for making baby clothes from socks:
- Cut the sock cuff off where it meets the heel
- Flatten the sock inside out so any image is folded on the side (do as I say not as I show, inside out!)
flatten image to side
- Sew two lines down the sock cuff, close to the middle
- Cut the sock between the two lines (This would be vertical in the picture above)
- Turn right side out and flatten so any image faces front
clip holes for arms
- Clip a hole 1/8″ to 1/4″ from the top of the cuff (for the arm holes) – sorry this fuzzy buzzy picture was the best I had.
tiny doll dresses from socks
And now her tiny dolls have matching penguin dresses. Save the rest of that sock and I’ll show you how to turn it into more doll clothes later!
Have you made doll clothes from stuff around the house? I’d love to see. leave a comment and link to your project below.